Manage episode 270781985 series 1764604
Parenting is stressful right now. This is because we are educating our kids at home while juggling work with limited childcare. We are also navigating difficult, important conversations about racism, the pandemic, and world events. How can we regain our sanity and parent in a way that is meaningful? Join us for a conversation with Jen Lumanlan, a child development expert and podcast host from Your Parenting Mojo. During this episode, we explore homeschooling, pandemic pods, and socially just parenting.
Listen and Learn:
- How Diana and Debbie are navigating school at home
- Homeschooling strategies that foster deep learning and keep kids engaged
- How to form a pandemic pod in a socially just way
- What is “patriarchy” in parenting and how it harms our children
- White privilege in parenting
- Actions parents can take against racism
About Jen Lumanlan
Jen Lumanlan holds an M.S. in Psychology (Child Development) and an M.Ed. She hosts the Your Parenting Mojo podcast which is a reference guide for parents of toddlers and preschoolers based on scientific researchers and the principles of respectful parenting. In each episode, she examines a topic related to parenting and child development from all sides to help parents understand how to make decisions about raising their children. She lives in California with her husband and daughter.
Your Parenting Mojo Podcast Resources:
- Trying to make a decision about homeschooling versus school-based programs?
- Looking for resources related to parenting and race?
- Want to start a Pandemic Pod? Try the Pandemic Pods ‘in a box’ course
- Want to get started with Homeschooling? Check out The Confident Homeschooler
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Nice White Parents Podcast
- Yuval Noah Harari on what the year 2050 has in store for humankind
- Carol Gilligan on Patriarchy in Parenting with Jen Lumanlan
- How to Get Away with Parenting podcast
- Urban Intellectual Black History Flashcards
Related Psychologists Off The Clock Episodes
- 141. Educating Our Kids at Home with Julie Bogart
- 69. Emotional Intelligence and the Science of Meditation with Dr. Daniel Goleman
- 159. Challenging Times During Adolescence with Dr. Louise Hayes
- 78. The Self-Driven Child with Dr. William Stixrud
- 142. FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) With Patrick McGinnis
- 9. Children’s Emotions: Understanding and Responding to Your Child’s Feelings
- 14. Mindful Parenting
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Psychologists Off The Clock.
Like what you’re hearing? Support us on Patreon.
We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts. It helps us spread the word to more folks like you!
Please note the information on Psychologists Off The Clock is intended for informational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for psychological or medical care. If you are looking for professional help, visit our resources page for guidance on how to find a therapist. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, call 9-1-1.
The post 160. Schooling at Home, Pandemic Pods, And Socially Just Parenting With Jen Lumanlan appeared first on Psychologists Off The Clock.