Manage episode 287377967 series 2778651
On the show today, I have Lance Goyke, a personal trainer working remotely with private clients and as an EXOS personal trainer at Google. He received his Master of Science in Anatomy & Cell Biology from Indiana University School of Medicine in 2017 and his Bachelor’s in Kinesiology from Indiana University in 2012. He is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist through the National Strength and Conditioning Association.
A self-professed “Godinite”, in 2018 Lance completed the altMBA, a four-week online workshop on leadership, marketing, business development, and entrepreneurship designed by Seth Godin.
Listen in as Lance speaks on his approach to setting goals, including why he prefers to set annual themes instead of annual goals. We also discuss the harsh reality of facing trials and discomfort on the road to success–which Lance aptly sums up with the maxim, “Hard choices, easy life. Easy choices, hard life.”
We then do a deep dive into how we navigate different resources to verify “scientific” claims. Finally, we share our thoughts on educating coaches working with different types of clients and how to identify their ideal client avatar.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [07:51] Lance’s thoughts on goal setting and intentionality
- [13:30] What it means to “merely do the work” à la Seth Godin
- [16:40] Short-term discomfort versus long-term discomfort
- [17:50] Staying vigilant regarding “scientific” claims
- [28:35] Educating coaches of different knowledge and experience levels
- [30:28] Coaches who are outliers on the bell curve
- [36:57] Deciding your client type as a coach
- [39:44] Carving out your place in the market
- Follow Lance Goyke here: https://www.lancegoyke.com/
- Explore Mastering Fitness here: https://mastering.fitness/
- Text REBELRADIO to 81493 to get 10% off your first program
- Text RPCOACHING to 81493 join our next case study training group
- Take the Rebel Performance Training Quiz to find the right program for you
- Get a coach that's dedicated to your success
- Take a course to become a better coach