Manage episode 269261421 series 1197747
A look behind the scenes with Neil Robertson, a music industry exec. from the golden era of reggae and hip-hop.
Neil Robertson worked behind the scenes as an A&R for Island Records. He was also a label manager and marketer for Island Jamaica. Neil was in the boardrooms and studios working with Beenie Man and Luciano to launch them internationally. As an artist manager, he has toured with, guided, and made deals on behalf of some of the best in the business.
Born and raised in NYC, Neil currently curates the music program at Alley Cat Amateur Theatre at The Beekman Hotel. He also handles DJ programming at The Seaport District/Pier 17 for Howard Hughes Corp and Pier A Harbor House for HPH Hospitality.
Behind the Scenes Highlights
- A&R for Island Records, Gee Street, and Richard Branson's re-entry into the music business, V2.
- Worked on RZA's "Bobby Digital In Stereo GOLD," "Wu-Tang Forever," and Gravediggaz “The Pick, The Sickle & The Shovel."
- Worked on DJ Premier's "Afu-Ra Body Of The Life Force."
- Helped usher in a new era of Reggae and re-establish Island as the premiere Reggae label in the world.
- Launched the careers of Beenie Man (Slam/Maestro), and Luciano (Where There Is Life, The Messenger).
- Launched Sizzla's "Praise Ye Jah" as an independent release.
- Gold single for the Senseless soundtrack “Movin On Up” featuring Prince Be, John Forte, and Ky-mani Marley.
- Toured extensively in the hip hop world as a manager for Afu-Ra.
- Toured the world establishing Ky-mani Marley, Specialist Dillon, Rootz Underground, and Jesse Royal.
- Produced the "I&I Survived" album with the infamous punk rock band, the Bad Brains.
- Production work on Stone Love’s classic album, “Champion Sound Vol. 1.
- Managed Tessanne Chin (winner of The Voice) and Jesse Royal.
- Consulted VP Records, producing live events including Puma events at the 2008 and 2012 Olympics.
- Produced 4 shows during the 2012 Olympics with AEG at the O2 Indigo.
- Currently, curates and DJs live events at Alley Cat Amateur Theatre.
- Hezron - Resilient. Music for the soundtrack of the revolution.
- Kabaka Pyramid's new single Energy on the Divine Majesty Riddim. Great follow up to Babylon Fallin, which was a tastemaker selection a couple of weeks ago.
- Divine Majesty riddim compilation. Features Kabaka Pyramid, Chronic Law, T'Jean, Royal Blu, Runkus, and more. On Israel records, produced by Sonovic.
- Team Torment Locked and Loaded
- Once again, Poison Dart @SoundManLinkUp
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/reggae-lover/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy