Episode 14: EMDR and the Safe and Sound Protocol....... a perfect combination. Dr Sarah Schubert, Psychologist and EMDR instructor talks about blending Polyvagal Theory and the Safe and Sound Protocol within the EMDR framework.
Manage episode 280142641 series 2609321
It is with great pleasure to share with you my conversation with Dr Sarah Shubert. Sarah is a Clinical Psychologist who works with children, adolescents, adults, and families. Sarah has a private practice and previously worked with complex mental health issues in Community treatment settings. Sarah is published in the area of trauma therapy and ADHD. Her doctoral dissertation was in the area of EMDR for the treatment of PTSD. She has won national and international awards for her research of EMDR and PTSD and is an accredited EMDR trainer.
EMDR stands for Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing which is an evidence-based intervention for trauma and PTSD. The World Health Organization, (WHO )recognises EMDR as the first-choice treatment for Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD; WHO, 2013).
Sarah is a trained SSP practitioner and implements the protocol, including Polyvagal theoretical approaches, to support her EMDR work.
Please listen to how Sara beautifully blends the science of safety and connection.
Topics covered include:
- What is EMDR?
- Polyvagal Theory, EMDR and coregulation in healing trauma
- Unravelling the "Preparation Phase" of EMDR
- Understanding PTSD challenges including emotional regulation, self-compassion and pervasive negative self-beliefs
- Understanding how "shutdown" can look like "calm and importance to know the difference
- How "shut down" blocks the memory processing of trauma and the importance of building safety
- The Polyvagal gift..... provides hope that we can rewire our nervous system for love, safety and connection
- Safety through connection and memory reconsolidation
- Sarah's personal experience with the Safe and Sound Protocol
- Why the SSP is an important therapy to support EMDR
To learn more about EMDR training with Sara for children and adolescents click this link- EMDR Training
During the episode I spoke, not so clearly I admit as it had been some time since I read about his work, of Dr Daniel Brown- link to more information- click here I would strongly recommend reading more about his work.
- Daniel Brown, Ph.D. is Associate Clinical Professor of Psychology at Harvard Medical School and has served on the faculty for over 38 years.
- An author of 24 books, and winner of the 1999 Guttmacher Award from the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Psychiatry & Law for outstanding contribution to forensic psychiatry.
- As an expert legal witness, Dr. Brown has testified in over 200 child abuse cases and served as an expert witness for prosecutors at the International War Crimes Tribunal, helping them establish a standard of evidence for victims of war atrocities.
- A senior meditation master, Dr. Brown has trained and taught with top Indo-Tibetan Bon & Buddhist lamas for more than 48 years, including lineage holders from some of the great schools of Buddhism.
- Dr. Brown Co-Founded The Attachment Project based on the foundations of his award-winning book Attachment Disturbances in Adults: Treatment for Comprehensive Repair.
I love to hear from you, please post any comments to the Safe and Sound Protocol Podcast Facebook group or email me at email@example.com
For more information about the SSP please contact Unyte Integrated Listening Systems
For Australia and New Zealand please contact Integrated Listening Australia.