Manage episode 293390128 series 2361972
This episode of SANDCAST: Beach Volleyball with Tri Bourne and Travis Mewhirter, was recorded on the road, at the FIVB Bulgaria one-star, where Mewhirter chatted with good buds and Canadian players Will Hoey and Jake MacNeil.
Hoey and MacNeil finished fifth in the Bulgaria one-star, knocking out Mewhirter and Roberts in the final round of the qualifier. On this episode, we chat about:
- How two Canadian men get into beach volleyball, and the role that hockey plays in that
- Hoey's journey into beach, and how going winless at the U19 World Championships opened his eyes to the life of the beach volleyball player
- MacNeil's decision to give up a professional hockey career to pursue beach volleyball
- Their climb up the Canadian Federation's ladder, where they are the fourth-ranked team in Canada
- Their life on the road, where they have no plans to return home
And much, much more.
This episode, as always, is brought to you by Wilson Volleyball, makers of the absolute best balls in the game, hands down. You can get a 20-percent discount using our code, SANDCAST-20! https://www.wilson.com/en-us/volleyball
This episode is also brought to you by Chasing Gold, a new non-profit founded by Matt Callahan and SANDCAST host Travis Mewhirter, aimed at funding aspiring Olympians to relieve the financial burden of traveling around the world. Read more and donate today at www.chasinggold.org!