Manage episode 290491575 series 1009005
If you've been honing your creativity for awhile, you might have come across The Artist's Way, by legendary author Julia Cameron. Her work resonated with me in more ways than one, including helping myself and millions of others work to cultivate creativity and grow my craft.
Julia joins me on today's show to talk about her life journey, upcoming book, The Listening Path, and the heart-warming backstory behind her bestselling creation, The Artist's Way.
The Queen of Change is credited with starting a movement in 1992 that brought creativity into the mainstream conversation— in the arts, in business, and in everyday life. With over 40 books (both fiction and nonfiction) published, and a successful career as a poet, songwriter, filmmaker, and playwright, Julia's story is a must-listen for any creative mind.
In this episode, we unpack:
- Julia's experience fighting for her right to write and writing controversial articles for the school paper.
- Unblocking oneself as an artist and a teacher and how finding a career path in the process.
- How The Artist's Way began as a tool to help about 10 friends unblock themselves creatively, then went on to sell more than 4 million copies
- Not trying to be brilliant but rather focus on being useful. Julia shares how her career straightened out following the learning.
- Listening beyond the veil - how to listen to the noises that we habitually tune out from, talking to others, listening more deeply, and not interrupting.
- The idea of Blasting through Blocks -- it's a tool to undertake when you're procrastinating or when your fear has got you landlocked, or when your critic is loud.
- The Believing Mirror is "somebody who reflects back to your strength, your courage, your positivity, your possibility, and they don't have a need to fix you. They just have a need to listen."
- Jerusalem is Walking in this World - a poem by Julia Cameron.
Text me 1-206-309-5177 Tweet me @chasejarvis
Today's episode is brought to you by CreativeLive. CreativeLive is the world's largest hub for online creative education in photo/video, art/design, music/audio, craft/maker and the ability to make a living in any of those disciplines. They are high quality, highly curated classes taught by the world’s top experts -- Pulitzer, Oscar, Grammy Award winners, New York Times best selling authors and the best entrepreneurs of our times.