Manage episode 293294434 series 2286887
What brings you rest? Is it something that’s easy for you to embrace, or do you find yourself struggling with it? Co-hosts Kayla Craig, Alissa Molina, and Patricia Taylor talk about the need for rest—to nourish ourselves and to love one another—in our final episode of the season.
In this episode, we:
- Discuss how rest can be a struggle when it is often considered selfish or something to be earned instead of an innate need
- Acknowledge that rest is an act of resistance against grind culture and even the Western church’s culture of production and productivity
- Ask each other what it takes to be able to say we are worthy of rest and to believe it
- Consider the interconnectedness of rest: when we fill ourselves up through our rest, that frees us and creates margin to give so that others may experience rest
- Talk about what’s at stake when we don’t rest and how our refusal to rest is a refusal to rest in God
- Wonder what it looks like for us to take cues from our bodies and the physical life around us and grow in awareness of those invitations to rest
Join us as we conclude our fifth season with this conversation about the necessity of rest. We hope it speaks to you and encourages you to regard this act as loving and essential to the well-being of yourself and those around you.
News, Notes, and Links:
- Savoring this quote: “God's creation is a life-giving inhale for all of us, and Sabbath is the exhale.” ― Shelly Miller, Rhythms of Rest: Finding the Spirit of Sabbath in a Busy World
- And this one, also from Shelly Miller: “Extravagant wastefulness in time might prove the most productive thing you choose for yourself.”
- Add “‘All of Your Ways Are Peace” by The Porter’s Gate to your playlist and soak it in.
- Support more conversations like this on Upside Down Podcast! Please visit us, where you can pledge a few dollars of monthly support to help us pay our bills and keep the conversations going.
- Learn more at Upside Down Podcast.
- We’re on Instagram, too. You can find us individually at @patricia_a_taylor, @kayla_craig, @alissarmolina, and @lindsy.wallace.
- Join the Upside Down Together listener group on Facebook!
Support the show (http://www.patreon.com/upsidedownpodcast)