Manage episode 286300628 series 2819846
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff and Sue discuss Chapter 4 of Coaching Matters. In this chapter, you will learn the differences, as well as the pro's and con's of both 1:1 and Team Coaching.
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts about this great book, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Join the TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a brand new Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
Coaching Cycle as a Structure
- A Common way to structure coaches work is through a Coaching CycleCoaching Cycles are a series of interactions with an individual or team of teachers over timeThey have a goal for both teacher and student learning
- The goals are developed in collaboration with the client and based on teacher and student learning needs
- Coaching cycles could be multiple days to multiple weeks
- Coaching Cycle ExamplesStudent Learning GoalsIncrease student performance on an assessment by X%
- Teacher Learning GoalsIncrease teacher understanding of the learning goal and capacity to develop and implement guided and independent practice tasks to support students
- Coaching Learning GoalsIncrease capacity to observe and record student cognitive behaviors data during classroom observations
- A Coaching Cycle is a structure that defines how a coach and teacher work togetherCoaching Cycles IncludeDefining how a coach and teacher work together
- Defining the learning goal for students and teacher (and coach)
- Delineates the learning process that will be used to achieve the goal and establishes a way to measure success.
- Coaching Cycles can be described asOne Teacher … One DayAll parts of a coaching cycle happen on a single dayPlanning - Demonstration - Coteaching - Observation - Debriefing and Reflection
- A Coach may check in a few days later to learn about progress towards the goal and may set up time for future reflection or conversation
- Several Teachers on a TeamCoach meets with the team of teachers to establish student learning goals
- Coach meets with individual teachers or work with team
- Coach may meet with a smaller group inside the team
- Coach may facilitate common planning and debriefing conversations with the team using student evidence and observational data
- Coach may create individual coaching cycles for individual teachers
- Multiweek Coaching CyclesThe Coach works with a small number of teachers over several weeks with a sustained time in each teachers classroom
- Coach and teacher focus on goals together based on student needs and desired outcomes
- The coach may demonstrate in front of the students
- Constant reflection is useful
- Partial Coaching CyclesCoaches and teachers agree to occasionally connect and create an abbreviated cycle focusing only on one component of teacher learning rather than the entire process.
- If a coach's work is structured in a coaching cycle, it is essential to delineate and communicate what the cycle is, how teachers will access time to meet with coaches and expectations for each cycle's timeframe and goals.
Links of Interest
Contact the Podcast!
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!