Manage episode 323724561 series 2872248
Camila (BoricuaWookiee) is back on the show to discuss minutes 21-25 of Solo: A Star Wars Story! Today, we're talking about inter-species communication, the hierarchy of sentience, and sound design as an unreliable narrator. Toward the end, we touch upon the psychology of flying, the different flavors of flying music in film, and of course, that god-forsaken rain showerhead.
- 00:00 - Hello there!
- 06:48 - Camila's (incredible) Chewbacca impression.
- 12:20 - Why don't any Imperial soldiers speak Shyriiwook?
- 16:09 - Hierarchy of sentient species in Star Wars.
- 20:47 - Heartwrenching Chewie moan.
- 26:41 - Han's orgasmic "yes, yes!"
- 35:55 - "Chewie Untamed" AKA "Flying with Chewie"
- 39:59 - Confidence of a mediocre white man.
- 43:18 - Have any Powell cues from Solo shown up in future Star Wars projects (The Book of Boba Fett, etc)?
- 49:20 - Xanthe's Jon Favreau Recognition Origin Story.
- 51:54 - Beethoven-esque buildup leading into the Young Han (Heroic) theme.
- 58:06 - Luxurious rain shower.
- 1:05:33 - Different types of flying music, "Soarin' Over California," atmosphere, sightlines, focus.
- 1:15:40 - SWMM Questionnaire
Things to Check Out:
- "Superman" theme (by John Williams) - https://youtu.be/78N2SP6JFaI
- "Soarin' Over California" from the retired ride at Disney's California Adventure (by Jerry Goldsmith) - https://youtu.be/zh8_Yu_TkWE
- "Test Drive" from How to Train Your Dragon (by John Powell) - https://youtu.be/_5N3q68e7OQ
- Camila's previous SWMM episode: TLJ 26: Luke and Leia Say Goodbye (Minutes 126-130) - https://youtu.be/eUGjvBesouE
- Complete Catalogue of the Musical Themes of Star Wars (by Frank Lehman): https://franklehman.com/starwars/.
- 5. The Gang
- 1. Young Han Solo (Heroic, comp. JW)
- 6. Han & Chewie
Where are we in the soundtrack(s)?:
- "The Beast (2M12)"
- "Chewie Untamed (2M13)"
- "Flying with Chewie"
--------------- STAR WARS MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
- 1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound like?
- Majesty. Hope. Tragedy.
- 2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound that you want to learn more about?
- The difference between sound editing and sound mixing.
- 3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides anything Star Wars?
- The Batman (composed by Michael Giacchino)
- Bonus Question: What's something you'd encourage listeners to pay more attention to on their next viewing/listen of this film?
- Pay attention to the way Chewbacca sounds as the movie goes on, whether it's different when he's with other people besides Han, etc.
- TikTok (BoricuaWookiee): https://www.tiktok.com/@boricuawookiee?
- Beings of the Galaxy podcast: https://beingsofthegalaxypod.buzzsprout.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/_camilacecile_
- Instagram (Beings of the Galaxy): https://www.instagram.com/beingsofthegalaxypod/
- Instagram (Camila): https://www.instagram.com/camilacquinones/
If you enjoyed this episode and want to show extra appreciation, feel free to buy me a coffee and shout out the guest! https://buymeacoffee.com/starwarsmusmin
If you want to support the show, consider becoming a patron! https://patreon.com/chrysanthetan
Leave a voice message, and I might play it on the show... https://starwarsmusicminute.com/comlink
Where else to find SWMM:
- Spotify: https://smarturl.it/swmm-spotify
- Apple Podcasts: https://smarturl.it/swmm-apple
- YouTube: https://youtube.com/starwarsmusicminute
- TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@starwarsmusicminute?
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/StarWarsMusMin
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/starwarsmusicminute
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org