Manage episode 302172842 series 2681373
Today on ShrinkChicks, Emmalee and Jen are joined by the amazing Erica Smith, M.Ed., sex educator and creator of the Purity Culture Dropout Program. Erica educates us all on purity culture and what it looks like in our world today. They discuss Erica's path to becoming a sex educator and the work she does to help her clients recover from the effects of purity culture. They cover topics like dress codes in schools, abstinence only sex education and why it doesn't work, how abortion became a central part of American politics, and so much more. Tune in to find out what Erica is calling BS on and why Emmalee got sent home from middle school during Home Ec class.
The various resources (and then some!) that Erica mentioned in today's episode:
- Erica's Purity Culture Dropout program: https://www.ericasmitheac.com/the-purity-culture-dropout-program
- Jo Luehmann Twitter account
- Shameless by Nadia Bolz Weber
- Sex Positive Families for all things raising children with a healthy, shame free sense of sexuality
- Pure by Linda Kay Klein
- Jamie Lee Finch
- Church Too: How Purity Culture Upholds Abuse and How to Find Healing by Emily Joy Allison
- Shameless Parenting: Tina Schermer Sellers
Thanks to this week's sponsors for supporting ShrinkChicks! We have these exclusive offers for our listeners:
ZocDoc: Go to zocdoc.com/shrink and download the ZocDoc app to sign-up for FREE and book a top-rated doctor. Many are available as soon as today!
Dipsea: Sign up for an extended 30 day free trial when you go to dipseastories.com/shrink