SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast: The Good Life Approach - Your weekly podcast with the little extra Solution Focus for your daily life!
SFP 106 – Creating Cooperation in Schools: Solution-Focused Support Groups and WOWW in Schools with Katrin Berger
Manage episode 270592527 series 2115681
SFP 106 - Episode 106: Creating Cooperation in Schools: Solution-Focused Support Groups and WOWW in Schools with Katrin Berger
by Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Simply Focus Podcast |36:32http://www.sfontour.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/SFP-106-Creating-Cooperation-in-Schools-Solution-Focused-Support-Groups-and-WOWW-in-Schools-with-Katrin-Berger.m4a
“That’s why I have chosen this job, working full time in schools, to make it more alive in there, to activate the children, and to strengthen the relationships between them.”
“Then I would ask them [the children] for help. I would say: ‘My job is to make children happy in school when they are not. I am not able to do this on my own. So, I need help for this. And I know, you are the right ones to help.'”
“So, with WOWW-coaching, for me it’s teaching the setting of a learning process where everybody dares to join.”
In today’s episode, we talk with Katrin Berger, Solution-Focused School Counselor and Trainer, about
- what fascinates her with Solution Focus,
- how Solution Focus reminded her on what she did as a child,
- how she makes everyday life more joyful for herself applying SF,
- how she brings more joy to schools with Solution Focus,
- how she applies Sue Young’s support groups in elementary schools,
- elements that help to create cooperation between students,
- how she strengthens the personal agency of the children,
- what fascinates her about WOWW – Working on What works in classrooms,
- how she applies WOWW-coaching in her schools,
- how she brings SF to her school counseling team,
- the importance of being in a good dialogue and connecting with each other instead of asking the „right“ question.
- The Challenge of the Week: How could you change your perspective to make daily situations that you don’t like that much, more fun.
- Check out Katrin’s website >> to learn more about her and her work.
- Learn more about Sue Young’s approach in addressing anti-bullying in schools in solution-focused ways, e.g.
- in her book Solution-Focused Schools: Anti-Bullying and Beyond,
- on Youtube where Ben Furman did an interview series with Sue Young. In this series, she explains what the innovative and solution-focused support group approach to bullying in schools is all about. This is the intro to a series of videos explaining the approach in detail.
- Here you can learn more about WOWW – Working On What Works,
- videos about the SF Approach from Arnoud Huibers and Ben Furman, with „Classroom Solutions“ about WOWW,
- video about WOWW (Working on What Works) in school lessons in Hungary, SolutionSurfers Hungary, with German Subtitles.
- Simply Focus podcast episode no. 102 WOWW: Co-creating school together with the students with Anna-Julia Szabo.
- If you are interested in research this article you might enjoy reading this article: Wallace, L. B., Hai, A. H. & Franklin, C..(2020). An evaluation of Working on What Works (WOWW): A solution focused intervention for schools. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy
- Check out these exciting networks regarding Solution Focus in Schools, two of them co-initiated by Katrin Berger:
- At the SF World Day 2020 (May 3rd) Katrin Berger and Tara Gretton started a network for school workers of the European region. There are regular online meetings on zoom to encourage the exchange amongst practitioners every 3rd of a month. You can connect on Facebook and also follow them on Eventbrite to book your free of charge tickets for the online gatherings.
- In Bremen, Katrin Berger, Katalin Hankovszky Christiansen, and Anna-Julia Szabo started a regional network for SF practitioners in schools.
- In Switzerland, Katalin Hankovszky Christiansen, Anna-Julia Szabo, and Alice Caduff-Scheuner initiated several online gatherings for SF school practitioners in German-speaking countries featured by the nla-Netzwerk lösungsorientieres Arbeiten Schweiz. We hope that there are more to come
- This Padlet compiled by the initiators of this gathering offers an extensive resource collection for Solution Focus in School in German language.
- In the United States, Linda Metcalf runs the podcast Solution Focused Schools Unlimited.
- In the Interaction Journal July 2020 there is a special section about Solution Focus in Education and working with young people. Check out these resources:
- “Focus on the 80%”: A pupil and staff from Beechen Cliff, a state school in Bath (UK), explain how they have been using Solution Focus to improve mental health among pupils. Tara Gretton is working closely with this school.
- “Being captain of their boats”: Liselotte Baeijaert (Belgium) provides an insight into how she worked with young people at a charitable school for hotel workers, on a small island in Indonesia.
- “There is no roof on top of it”: Tara Gretton (UK) and Katrin M. Berger (Germany) explain their aims for establishing the new ‘Solution Focus in Schools’ Network and provide inspiring examples of SF use in schools.
- “Drawing people out to be a better person”: Nic Vidot (Australia), the recently retired principal of a senior school, relates how he used SF to improve performance continuously in his school.
- Listen to more Simply Focus podcasts related to solution-focused work in schools, e.g. episode #99 with Sharon Casey and many others, by clicking on the tab “SF in Schools” above.
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Katrin and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!
Listen to more Simply Focus Podcast episodes: