Manage episode 285028971 series 2804354
In this episode hear the passion of John Muir Laws, a scientist, teacher and author who helps people forge deeper, more personal connections with nature through keeping illustrated nature journals.
John and I talk about how he entered into nature journaling, the importance of parents encouraging kids to explore their interests, ways sketchnoters and visual thinking can enter into nature journaling, and more.
This is a fantastic interview I know you’re going to love!
This episode of the Sketchnote Army Podcast is brought to you by The Sketchnote Ideabook, the sketchbook designed for sketchnoters.
Equipped with a no-bleed, now show through paper, The Sketchnote Ideabook can take almost any marker or pen you can throw at it.
Save 15% on your entire order of Sketchnote Ideabooks and Autoquill Pen sets at the Airship Store when you use code IDEABOOK15 through April 30th, 2021.
To claim your 15% off visit airship.store today!
- Intro: Who is John?
- How John got into nature journaling
- What is nature journaling?
- Using journaling to slow down and pay attention
- Nature journaling is an invitation to the infinite
- I notice — words, pictures, numbers
- I wonder — what, why, how, when?
- It reminds me of — what else is like this in my experience?
- Creativity is useful connections between seemingly unrelated things
- Observing the world this way opens up your brain to curiosity
- There are infinite opportunities for curious exploration
- Observations can lead to biomimicry innovation
- Noting relationships between observations and things you understand
- John’s Sketchnote Handbook story
- How sketchnoting nature ideas expanded John’s process thinking
- We think we understand, but we’ve only scratched the surface
- The differences between science and mathematics
- You can be part of the process through observation and curiosity
- Human memory is unreliable: visual documentation is critical
- Visualization is a critical thinking tool
- John Muir Laws Website
- John’s Blog Archive - loads of gems in there
- Wild Wonder Nature Journaling Conference
- John Muir Laws on Twitter
- John Muir Laws on Instagram
- The Nature Journal Club
- John Muir Laws Store
- Book: The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling
- Book: The Laws Guide to Drawing Birds
- Book: Sierra Birds: a Hiker’s Guide
- Book: The Laws Guide to the Sierra Nevada
Amazon affiliate links below support the Sketchnote Army Podcast.
- Growth Mindset is critical
- Actively, intentionally harness your curiosity - do curiosity
- Prismacolor Col-Erase Non-Photo Blue Pencil No. 20028
- Pentel GraphGear 1000 Mechanical Pencil 0.5mm
- Bic Round Stic Xtra Life Ballpoint Pen
- Strathmore Hardbound Toned Tan Paper Art Journal
- Strathmore Hardbound Mixed Media Gray Paper Art Journal
- John’s Field Sketching Supplies and Naturalist Equipment
SUBSCRIBE ON ITUNES
You can subscribe to the podcast through iTunes.
SUPPORT THE PODCAST
To support the creation, production and hosting of the Sketchnote Army Podcast, buy one of Mike Rohde’s bestselling books. Use code ROHDE40 at Peachpit.com for 40% off!