Manage episode 285687924 series 2526604
Are you tired of apologizing for how you eat? For your body shape and size?
Is this constant apologizing harming your relationship with food and your body?
Listen to the newest Speaking of Hungry episode where I chat with Alissa Rumsey, a nationally-recognized registered dietitian and certified intuitive eating counselor, who is empowering women to reclaim the space to eat and live unapologetically in her new book, Unapologetic Eating.
Alissa and I discuss:
- What influenced her to write this book.
- The four-step process she uses with clients to get to a place of unapologetic eating.
- How she recognizes her journey as a thin, white woman with privilege looks different from those who are oppressed in our society.
- How we can get to a place where we are not only eating unapologetically but LIVING without asking permission and needing to justify our decisions.
- Ways to become empowered and stop worrying about what society expects of us.
- The act of sitting with discomfort, something we tend to avoid and may turn to food or restriction as a coping mechanism. She uses an example of using mindfulness to help us through "my jeans feel tight."
- Getting comfortable in your body and not letting your body hold you back from what you truly want.
- The connections between why we may be dieting, restricting, and are hyperfocused on our body shape and size.
- Why being in our heads all of the time can be counterproductive to healing from a disordered relationship with food and our bodies.
Check out the episode and then add Unapologetic Eating to your library of intuitive eating, weight-inclusive, HAES-aligned resources!
Mentioned in this episode:
If you love the show, please leave a rating and review on Apple podcasts! Please go to iTunes and leave a rating and review!!
If you leave a review, I will pick one person in February for a free 30-minute mini-session with me! We can address anything you're struggling with: restriction, body image, emotional eating, the restrict/binge cycle, and 24/7 food and body obsession are just a few ideas. Be sure to write the review, then DM me on Instagram (@AlisonBarkmanRD) or email me directly to let me know the review is there!!!
What will you get in this guide? This is a sample of work I do with my private, 1:1 clients. I’ll take you through:
#1 - examining your personal history with dieting
#2 - reflecting on how diets interfered with your life
#3 - how to slowly get rid of dieting tools you may still use.
#4 - identifying hidden forms of dieting you may still engage in but don’t realize you are and how it interferes with your work to become more intuitive.
#5 - a worksheet on how to stop the self-critical talk.
Curious about working together? You can schedule a FREE 20-minute Zoom with me to let me know what you are struggling with and determine if my program is a good fit for you!
Need MORE help healing your relationship with food AND exercise?
Consider joining my FREE Intuitive Eating & Body Compassion Facebook community!!!