Manage episode 331672361 series 1469447
In this episode of Syntax, Wes and Scott answer your questions about headless WordPress, Regex, their health and fitness, CSS custom properties in media queries, and more.Sentry - Sponsor
If you want to know what’s happening with your code, track errors and monitor performance with Sentry. Sentry’s Application Monitoring platform helps developers see performance issues, fix errors faster, and optimize their code health. Cut your time on error resolution from hours to minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners new to Sentry can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code TASTYTREAT during sign up.Sanity - Sponsor
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax..TECH Domains - Sponsor
.TECH is taking the tech industry by storm. A domain that shows the world what you are all about! If you’re looking for a domain name for your startup, portfolio, or your own project like we did with uses.tech, check out .tech Domains. Syntax listeners can snap their .TECH Domains at 80% off on five-year registration by visiting go.tech/syntaxistech and using the coupon code “syntax5”.Show Notes
- 00:10 Welcome
- 03:30 If I host a NextJS app on Digital Ocean, should I use a Digital Ocean database?
- 09:14 Will either of you ever do a regex course?
- 13:58 Is it possible to use the WordPress users database as the same database that the app uses?
- 18:46 Sponsor: Sentry
- 19:43 How is health and fitness going for the both of you?
- 26:08 Does Wes know who Gendo Ikari is?
- 27:36 Dart popularity follow up
- 29:40 Is it vital that I should learn another programming language?
- 33:42 Sponsor: Sanity
- 34:54 If I’m trying to get my first job in web development, do I need to be familiar with design software?
- 40:01 Thank you for the confidence to apply for a web dev job
- Syntax 463 with Tom Preston-Werner
- 41:55 What advice will you give in terms of setting up core important things around network, state management, folder structure?
- 45:37 .TECH Domain Names
- 46:22 I just had an interview with a “major tech company” and your article on using string templates was really helpful.
- Template Strings
- 48:43 If 80% of the time ew need to use preventDefault on form submission, why don’t the simply change the HTML spec?
- 50:01 What’s the rationale for not supporting CSS custom properties in media queries when using max/min width?
- CSS Env
- MDN CSS Env
- 55:37 ××× SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××
- Scott: * You Must Remember This Podcast
- Wes: Tools