Join expert voices from Barbell Logic and others from the world of strength for resources to help you get strong for life. Get coaching options and more educational content at barbell-logic.com.
Manage episode 282742459 series 2406289
By Audioboom, Marcus Luttrell, and Andrew Brockenbush. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
If ever you wanted to hear a true story of the relentless pursuit of truth, this is the one you need to listen to. This Navy SEAL and highly decorated combat veteran Eddie Gallagher, with 20 years of service to our country and 9 deployments in Africa, Afghanistan, and Iraq was accused of war crimes while being innocent all the while. At the end of his 2017 deployment, accusations escalated to a point beyond ridiculous and was imprisoned for 9 months without ever being charged.
His wife, Andrea, spearheaded the “Free Eddie” Campaign effort to prove his innocence and fought tooth and nail to do so. After an unbelievable series of events, including terrorism against his family and young children, Eddie’s innocence was proven.
Eddie and Andrea have written the book The Man in the Arena to tell Eddie’s almost unbelievable story.
In this episode you will hear:
- None of the accusations against Eddie were about war crimes.
- “They locked me up in solitary, and nothing was explained to me.”
- There’s no bail system in the military.
- The UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) makes it possible to put people in jail without charges.
- The level of terrorizing inflicted on our family shocked me to the core.
- I thought: “No one’s coming to help us.”
- The truth will prevail no matter what happens.
- “I truly feel that God called us to this. He let us go through this for a purpose, and that purpose is way bigger than us.”
- Eddie’s story can be paralleled with the story of Joseph in the bible. That story was a guiding light for us.
- If they can do this to us, they can do this to anyone – and these guys are heroes.
- Failure to protect one of their warfighters that served 20 years, is the biggest black eye, but we're gonna use it to make an impact on a larger scale to bring change to the UCMJ, and the way that we treat our military service members.
- “She’s [Andrea's] the true hero of the story.”
- They held machine guns and assault rifles to our children’s heads.
- [Eddie] was being restricted from legal counsel, contrary to what we, as Americans, constitutionally have.
- “Take failures and learn from them.”
- “We’re gonna stand up for what’s right.”
- “If we had quit, they would have taken him out for the remainder of his life.”
Special New Year Deal! Every purchase of a 2-year plan will get you 1 additional month free. Go to https://nordvpn.com/TNQ and use the coupon TNQ at checkout.