Dr Lori Shemek | How to Fight FATflammation! Shrink the Body's Fat Cells for Lasting Weight Loss KKP 199
Manage episode 276528560 series 2588128
Today, I am grateful to have here with me, a pioneer in creating global awareness of low-level inflammation and how it is the underlying cause of most illness, disease, faster aging and weight gain, Dr. Lori Shemek. She has been sending out the message about inflammation long before it was a buzz word.
Dr. Lori has uncovered the pathway to the core cause of weight: inflamed fat cells that not only promote unwanted excess weight gain and belly fat, but poor health as well.
Lori Shemek is a Nutrition and Weight Loss expert, a best-selling author and specializes in weight loss resistance. She has helped many people to once and for all.. lose the weight and feel better fast. She shows people how to spot sneaky foods that create weight gain, to kick sugar addiction to the curb, and shift from eating the wrong foods to the exact foods that burn fat.
Dr. Shemek is an award-winning, bestselling author of How To Fight FATflammation!; The Ketogenic Key; Beginner’s Guide to Intermittent Fasting and Fire-Up Your Fat Burn! She is a leading health and weight loss expert and also known as “The Inflammation Terminator.” She has made it her mission to help clients lose weight and educate the public on the toxic effects of certain foods and lifestyle choices and how they create inflammation in the body resulting in weight gain. She is a leading authority on inflammation and its role in weight loss, preventing disease and optimizing health.
The Huffington Post has recognized Dr. Shemek twice as one of the Top 16 Health and Fitness Experts, alongside such names as Dr. Oz and David Zinczenko, author of Eat This, Not That. The Huffington Post has also recognized her as one of the Top 35 Diet and Nutrition Experts.
In this episode, Dr. Lori opens the show diving into her story. Dr. Lori’s mom died at a young age from bad health. So, Dr. Lori made it her mission to help people make healthier choices. Dr. Lori chooses to focus on inflammation because you can prevent so many diseases and health issues if you can decrease your inflammation. Plus, reducing your inflammation will most likely result in weight loss. Also, Dr. Lori explores the best foods for keeping your inflammation down and reveals why you should avoid unstable fats. Tune in as we talk magnesium, carb cycling, and which type of lab tests you should order.
➡️ Keto Kamp Membership for only $5: http://www.startketokamp.com
▸ 🎁 FREE KETO KAMP BLUEPRINT: http://www.ketokampblueprint.com
// E P I S O D E S P ON S O R S
PureForm Omega Plant Based Oils (Best Alternative to Fish Oil): http://www.purelifescience.com Use ben4 for $4.00 off.
☕️ Purity Coffee: http//:www.ketokampcoffee.com, use ketokamp at checkout for 10% off
[02:15] About Dr. Lori Shemek
- Lori’s mom had a lot of health conditions. Her lifestyle choices drastically affected her life. She smoked cigarettes, was obese, had a horrible diet, and was under a lot of chronic stress.
- Unfortunately, her mom died at 36. Dr. Lori made it her mission to help people in the health realm.
- Lori created her own company to help people with their health.
- Many people feel like they don’t have a choice when it comes to their health. However, that’s far from the truth. 80% is a choice – we can change our gene expression.
[08:20] Why Dr. Lori Focuses on Inflammation
- Lori would read about inflammation at school – she realized that it was the key.
- If you can decrease your inflammation, then you can prevent so many diseases, ill-health, and weight gain.
- It is extremely beneficial to understand that inflammation is the reason for many health issues.
[09:20] The Differences Between Acute Inflammation and Silent Inflammation
- We have three types of inflammation:
- Acute: we know the inflammation is there because it’s uncomfortable, and it hurts. It’s a cut on your finger, the terrible head cold, and the sprained ankle. This inflammation is great because it tells you that something is wrong with your body.
- Silent: the name suggests danger. It’s silent; you don’t know it’s there. 75% of our country has silent inflammation, and they don’t even know it. It’s the core cause of illness, disease, faster aging, and weight gain.
- Fatflammation: fat cell inflammation is silent inflammation in the fat cells. The types of foods most Americans are eating is creating a body that is producing inflammatory molecules. When the fat cell gets bloated, it expands. The fat cell won’t be happy. When the fat cell is not happy, it will act like it’s sick or infected.
- Unfortunately, doctors will put a band-aid on chronic inflammation.
[15:15] Foods For Inflammation
- Keto is an anti-inflammatory diet.
- Foods that will stop inflammation are things like omega-3.
- The critical foods for keto:
- Wild, fatty fish
- Green tea
- The keto choices that we have are usually anti-inflammatory
[17:15] The Problem With Consuming Unstable Fats on Keto
- Our cell membrane is thin, but it’s essential for optimal health.
- The health of our cell membrane will determine your overall health. It allows nutrients to come in and out. The membrane is made of fat.
- Corn oil, vegetable oil, soil oil, canola oil, safflower oil, cottonseed oil are highly processed and highly refined. The body does not know what to do with these processed oils.
- The cell membrane uses fats that you’re eating. So if you’re eating vegetable oils, those fats will become your cell membrane.
[21:40] The Relationship Between The Cell Membranes and The Mitochondria
- The mitochondria are everywhere – they are crucial because they generate ATP, which is the energy that our cell needs to survive.
- Stop eating the types of foods that are ruining the cell membrane. Then, ensure that you have enough magnesium. Magnesium is crucial for your optimal health and weight.
- The mitochondria starts sending out signals of distress to your body. Then, your body will begin to inflame within the cell.
- Until we intervene and make healthier choices, then the inflammation will continue.
[25:55] The Importance of Magnesium
- When you eat low carb, you are emitting a lot of fluids. With that fluid comes a lot of precious minerals like magnesium.
- Lori says that people should take magnesium as a supplement.
- Lori will take magnesium threonate.
- There are many types of magnesium. You can use a supplement that has nine different types of magnesium.
- If you’re overweight, you are going to need more magnesium. If you have foggy thinking, then you’re going to need more. 600 mg is excellent.
[30:00] Getting In and Out of Ketosis
- When we go in and out of ketosis, we teach our bodies how to be metabolically flexible.
- Depending on what works for you, ramp up your carb intake one or two days a week.
- However, if you’re losing weight, then stay strict on the keto diet. When the weight starts to fall off, your body will be able to handle the carbohydrates. Otherwise, you won’t be prepared for carbs.
[32:35] Benefits From Fasting
- Health is about ketosis.
- If you don’t want to do the ketogenic diet, then fasting will provide ketosis.
- Lori will do 14-16 hours of fasting each day.
- During fasting, your body will reset.
- If you have insulin resistance, intermittent fasting is a fantastic way to repair your body.
[39:15] About Dr. Lori’s Favorite Lab Tests
- Test your vitamin D. If you have a low vitamin D level, then you have an inflammation problem. Your vitamin D levels should be at 70 or higher.
- CRP value is important; the lower, the better. 1 or 2 is ideal.
- Test your glucose. Even the healthiest keto foods might not agree with you. Use a glucose monitor to determine what will raise your glucose.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
- Check out Lori Shemek
- Learn more at DLS Healthworks
- Follow Dr. Lori
- Listen to This Podcast Burns Fat!
- Get How to Fight FATflammation!
- Read The Ketogenic Key
- Get Fire Up Your Fat Burn!
// R E S O U R C E S
➡️ Keto Kamp Membership for only $5: http://www.startketokamp.com
➡️The World's Best Olive Oil | Get a $39 Bottle For a $1: http://www.ketokampoliveoil.com
☕Healthiest Coffee: http://www.ketokampcoffee.com Use "ketokamp" for 10% off
➡️Keto Kamp Apparel: http://www.ketokampgear.com
*Some Links Are Affiliates*
// F O L L O W
▸ instagram | @thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2B1NXKW
▸ facebook | /thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2BVvvW6
▸ twitter | @thebenazadi http://bit.ly/2USE0so
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only. Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility from any possible adverse effects from the use of information contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by guests. This podcast does not make any representations or warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a medical problem, consult a licensed physician.