Manage episode 268490408 series 1259562
It’s our birthday!! Today, The Land of Desire kicks off its fifth year and what better way to celebrate than with a little cake? This week, I’m focusing on the history of one of my favorite French treats: the humble, beloved madeleine! “One could almost call the madeleine France’s national cookie” wrote Patricia Wells in the New York Times back in 1983. She didn’t know about the endless macaron obsession that was still to come, but I think she has a point. This week, pull up a chair, pour a cup of tea, and definitely make sure to sign up for the newsletter (hint: I’m sharing my favorite recipe!!!) while we celebrate the life and times of the French madeleine.
Episode 60: “Madeleines”
- “Les heures des repas en France avant le XIXe sìecle” (Flandrin) – Le temps de manger: alimentation, emploi du temps et rythmes sociaux, Aymard et al.
- “From Louis XIV to Napoleon: Feast Fit for a King” France Today, March 14, 2018.
- Cake: A Global History, Nicola Humble.
- “1800s food”, British Library.
- Clayton, Paul, and Judith Rowbotham. “How the mid-Victorians worked, ate and died.” International journal of environmental research and public health vol. 6,3 (2009): 1235-53. doi:10.3390/ijerph6031235
- I made a whole list on Bookshop of my favorite French food books!
- Sigh. Sometimes you finish putting your finishing touches on an episode…and discover an entire treasure trove of rich information about your subject that you somehow failed to uncover after weeks of research. This would be a different episode if I’d come across the following (brilliant) essay earlier: How Marcel Proust killed the Commercy madeleine
- Cake: A History by Nicola Humble is FASCINATING. She made me re-think the entire idea of what it means for something to be a cake. Super recommended, discovering this book was one of the highlights of researching this episode.
- Turns out I wanted to know more about antique French copper cookware? Maybe you do, too.
Subscribe to the brand new newsletter
That’s right – the Land of Desire newsletter is BACK. The revamped newsletter comes in two flavors: free and paid. Free subscribers receive one newsletter per quarter; paid subscribers receive at last one newsletter per month. Subscribe to the newsletter here.
Support the Show
There are so many ways to support the show! First and foremost, sign up for a paid subscription to The Land of Desire newsletter or contribute via Patreon. If you’re a paid subscriber, chime in on our Substack discussion threads whenever a new newsletter is sent out!
But that’s not all: you’re always welcome and strongly encouraged to ask questions on the show’s Facebook page or through Twitter! And of course, you can contact me directly here. Thank you so much for listening to the show. Until next time, au revoir!
Join the Discussion
- Join our Substack discussions (paid subscribers only)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter (so many GIFs)
- Follow us on Instagram (find out when new episodes go live)