Manage episode 303960932 series 2903307
Lanhee Chen is currently a candidate for Controller of California. After earning four degrees from Harvard University, including a law degree and doctorate in political science, he served in senior roles in both Republican and Democratic presidential administrations.
Lanhee is regarded as one of America’s leading policy commentators and experts - specifically on health care. He teaches at Stanford, was unanimously confirmed by the United States Senate to serve as a member of the independent and bipartisan Social Security Advisory Board.
Lanhee has also built his own small business, which focuses on providing advice on fiscal and other public policy issues to leaders in both the public and private sectors. He is an investor who works with entrepreneurs to help them grow their businesses and create new jobs. He is currently the Chair of the Board of Directors of El Camino Health, a health care system in his community.
- 0:15 - Intro to Lanhee
- 1:30 - What does the Controller of CA do & why is Lanhee running?
- 5:15 - Focusing on state policy vs federal policy
- 7:15 - $31 billion in unemployment insurance fraud
- 16:00 - Conceptualizing how large $30 billion is for CA
- 19:00 - Will CA see any of that money again?
- 21:15 - Audit powers of the Controller
- 25:15 - Medi-Cal & Medicaid
- 32:00 - Major drivers of health care costs
- 40:15 - Specifics of price transparency & cost
- 45:45 - History of employment based health care & path dependence
- 52:30 - Closing thoughts on the Golden State