Manage episode 282689516 series 2520985
Welcome to The Shift Patient Series with naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the state of human health, the dysfunction of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives.
In the Patient Series of The Shift, Katherine talks with real people about their health journeys, the roadblocks along the way and what it takes to make a shift. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
In this episode of The Shift patient series, we have Gemma, a 24 year old woman based in Brisbane. Gemma’s health issues started during her childhood and she has lived with symptoms including acne, depression, food intolerances and chronic fatigue.
Gemma was diagnosed with depression as a teenager and during this episode she talks with Katherine about that journey and the different treatments she tried along the way including her discovery of the link between mental health and gut health.
In this episode Katherine and Gemma explore:
- Gemma’s health during her childhood, the symptoms she was experiencing from a young age and the discovery of a food intolerance
- Gemma talks about her emotional and mental health, and being diagnosed with depression and prescribed anti-depressants at the age of 16
- Hormone health and Gemma’s experience with taking the pill
- What Gemma discovered about the connection between gut health and other areas of the body
- The different treatments that Gemma tried to fix her skin issues with and why she decided to seek help from a naturopath for this problem
- Gemma’s big shift in mindset and the lessons she has learned about herself
- The most important part of Gemma’s healing journey and the roadblocks that have been the hardest to overcome