Manage episode 298806244 series 151259
Special guest: John Moltz. Special topics: Playdate preorders, MagSafe battery packs, iPad keyboard covers, Facebook and NSO Group, Safari 15 betas, and Loki.
- LinkedIn Jobs: Find and hire the right person. Your first job post is free.
- Away: Because this season, everyone wants to get Away.
- Squarespace: Everything you need to grow online. Use code talkshow for 10% off your first order.
- Linode: Instantly deploy and manage an SSD server in the Linode Cloud. New accounts get a $100 credit.
- Mack Weldon: Reinventing men’s basics with smart design, premium fabrics, and simple shopping. Get 20% off your first order with code talkshow.
- Apple’s masterful press release that got them just the headlines they were hoping to get.
- Techmeme’s roundup of Big Press headlines regarding Apple’s settlement proposal for the class action lawsuit regarding the App Store in the U.S.
- Bloomberg got it right: “Apple Settles With App Developers Without Making Major Concessions”.
- Ryan Jones’s excellent Twitter thread that accurately depicts the actual nature of Apple’s settlement proposal.
- Jack Nicas’s column for the NYT: “Why Apple Won Its Legal Settlement With Developers”.
- MG on Apple’s press release: “Thank You, Apple! May We Have Another?”.
- And MG’s follow-up, “Apple Accentuates the Positive”.
- Apple’s earlier-on-Thursday announcement regarding the News Partner Program.
- Phil Schiller’s 2011 memo asking “Do we think our 70/30 split will last forever?”.
- Mark Gurman’s latest column, speculating on who might succeed Tim Cook as CEO.
- The Peter Principle — “a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their ‘maximum level of incompetence’”. (I blew it and said “Pareto Principle” on air, which is an entirely different thing, but also interesting.)
- Another post-show correction: there is one MLB team with a friendly bird mascot. (I mistakenly thought they had been relegated to AAA, and regret the error.)
- Randy Johnson hits a bird with a pitch during a 2001 preseason MLB game.
This episode of The Talk Show was edited by Caleb Sexton.