Manage episode 273842627 series 111319
Elora Hardy (IG: @eloradora) is the Founder and Creative Director of IBUKU. Raised on the beautiful island of Bali, Elora was inspired by the highly skilled local craftsmen as well as by the talented jewelry designs of her parents.
She spent 14 years of her young adult life in the United States, where she received a degree in fine arts and went on to New York City to design prints for Donna Karan that would walk the world’s runways.
In 2010, Elora left her successful career in the fashion world to carry on the incredible work of the design-build team that created the world-renowned Green School in Bali, founded by her father John Hardy.
She reconnected with the culture and landscape that she loves and today continues to cultivate Balinese artisans alongside innovative designers and architects with the goal of making Bali a global center for sustainable design and bringing those designs to the rest of the world.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Elora created her 1st structure when she was 9 years old… the fairy mushroom house
- Growing up in Bali with Canadian roots
- What boarding school in the US was like as a teenager
- Life in NYC designing prints for Donna Karan
- How Elora met her now husband at a yoga class in NYC
- The vision for Green School in Bali
- Leaving her career in NYC to learn from her dad, John Hardy
- How to grow bamboo
- Processing & treating bamboo to make it last
- The beauty & sustainability of building with bamboo
- How Green School has evolved since 2008
- Learning by experiencing nature
- Designing unique homes that connect with nature
- How COVID-19 has impacted Bali's tourism
- The evolution of Bali's tourism over the years
- Shifting the conversation about the way things are made
- Working with different types of bamboo
- The deep need for inspiration & hope
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won't cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.