Manage episode 274344817 series 111319
Dr. Jud Brewer “Dr. Jud” (@judbrewer) is a thought leader in the field of habit change and the “science of self-mastery”. He's a psychiatrist and internationally known expert in mindfulness training for addictions. Dr. Jud is the Director of Research and Innovation at the Mindfulness Center and an associate professor at Brown University.
He has developed and tested novel mindfulness programs for habit change, including both in-person and app-based treatments for smoking, emotional eating, and anxiety.
In this episode, we discuss:
- As humans, we learn the same as sea slugs
- The connection between stress and IBS
- Learning breath awareness meditation
- What happens to our brains when we meditate?
- What is the default mode network (DMN)?
- The definition of addiction
- Social media can be just as addictive as drugs
- The abstinence violation effect
- Does willpower exist?
- How to change reward value behavior
- Using mindfulness as the bigger better offer (BBO)
- Curiosity feels better than a craving
- Changing the habit loop
- The art of Loving-Kindness Meditation
- The role of the posterior cingulate cortex (PCC)
- Letting go with psychedelic therapy
- Dr. Jud’s experience at a silent meditation retreat
- Finding joy in meditation
- Moments of mindfulness throughout the day
- Using mindfulness to break a bad habit
- Staying curious
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won't cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.