Manage episode 282122783 series 111319
Gary Taubes (@garytaubes) is an investigative science and health journalist and co-founder of the non-profit Nutrition Science Initiative. He is the author of The Case Against Sugar, Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It, and Good Calories, Bad Calories, which was published as The Diet Delusion in the UK.
Gary just release a new book at the end of 2020 titled The Case for Keto: Rethinking Weight Control and the Science and Practice of Low-Carb/High-Fat Eating.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Gary studying physics in college and due to his weight realized his dreams of being an astronaut wouldn’t happen
- Why low-fat diets became popular
- The start of Gary’s journalism career doing investigative reporting
- Gary's fascination with bad science
- If we can’t trust science, who do we go to for information about health and wellness?
- The case for keto making people healthier
- The ketogenic diet defined
- The history of ketogenic diets
- A carb restricted diet is a high-fat diet
- Stop being afraid of fat
- Gary limits starches, grains, and sugar in his diet
- When your partner isn’t on board with the same dietary philosophy
- Eating the foods we were programmed to think would kill us
- How low-carb diets affect cholesterol and do you need a statin?
- Being one of the drivers of the low-carb revolution
- Obesity is an insulin signalling disorder
- Fat is the one nutrient that doesn’t stimulate insulin
- Sex hormones play a huge role in obesity
- Conventional nutrition wisdom is feeding us the wrong information
- Our parents’ generation was taught “If you don’t want to be fat, you had to eat carbs.”
- The obesity prevalence has tripled since 1980
- What is cephalic phase secretion?
- The misinterpretation that obesity is caused by eating
- Experimenting with intermittent fasting and time-restricted eating
- Do you have a carbohydrate addiction?
- You are not confined to a diet, you are adhering to being healthy
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won't cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.