Manage episode 297377434 series 111319
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/byronkatie419
In 1986, at the bottom of a ten-year spiral into depression and self-loathing, Byron Katie (IG: @byron.katie) woke up one morning in a state of joy. She realized that when she believed her stressful thoughts, she suffered, but that when she questioned them, she didn’t suffer, and that this is true for every human being.
Her simple yet powerful process of self-inquiry, which she calls The Work, consists of four questions and the turnaround, which is a way of experiencing the opposite of what you believe.
Katie has been bringing The Work to millions of people for more than thirty years. Her books, public events, weekend workshops, intensives, and nine-day School for The Work have brought freedom to people all over the world.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Katie suffering from depression for 10 years after her divorce
- How the “Judge Your Neighbour” worksheet can help you
- Katie's awakening back in 1986
- Seeing how the world was created
- The reality of awareness
- How the people in Katie’s life responded to her epiphany
- Using self-inquiry as a way to identify and question thoughts
- How Katie pulled her life back together after her depression
- Doing “The Work”
- Meeting her husband, Stephen Mitchell
- A cockroach was a symbol of awareness
- What is earth school?
- An example of the four questions and turnarounds
- Being wide open to suffering
- Waiting for proof of past/future
- Illusion is another word for memory
- God is everyone and everything without exception
- Love isn’t something you can teach, it’s in us all
- War is an egoic state of mind
- Meditation is a beautiful way to rest
- Everyone is present
- AT HOME with Byron Katie
- It’s never too late
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you'd prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you're there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.