Manage episode 308327265 series 111319
Watch the full video interview on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/drstevenhayes444
Dr. Steven Hayes (@StevenCHayes) is a professor of psychology at the University of Nevada, Reno.
An author of 46 books and nearly 675 scientific articles, he is especially known for his work on "Acceptance and Commitment Therapy" or “ACT” which is one of the most widely used and researched new methods of psychological intervention over the last 20 years. Steve is ranked among the most cited psychologists in the word.
His popular book Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life was written up in a 5 page story in Time Magazine and was for a time the bestselling self-help book in the United States. Steve’s book, A Liberated Mind released to wide acclaim.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Steve dedicated his life to becoming a psychologist
- The development of his panic disorder later in life
- Recalling his out of body experience
- What is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)?
- The trouble with avoidance
- Give your mind a name
- Try using one-word repetition
- Psychological flexibility has six processes
- The selfish version of mindfulness
- At what age do negative thoughts start in kids?
- The problem with clinging to the positive
- Teaching kids situational awareness
- Are you on a hero's journey or are you writing a tragedy?
- The two different vagal systems
- How to pivot towards what matters
- You’re emotions aren’t unsafe
- The emotion of confidence
- Overcoming speech anxiety
- Using mindful awareness to beat anxiety
- Living with a liberated mind
- Seeking an ACT therapist
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. If you'd prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you're there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.