Manage episode 274138439 series 2738844
This week on the WarriorU Podcast, Bram Connolly and Lieutenant Colonel Trent Bernard answer your key questions around leadership. In this episode, they discuss topics such as leading those who do not want to listen, approaching narcissism in leadership, and the relationship between vulnerability and resilience. Bram and Trent dive deep into understanding what it takes to be a good leader, in any environment.
With their years of experience leading in the army, they bring their perspective and experience to the conversation and provide valuable insights, so you too can become a better leader for your team.
Questions from Part One:
How do you lead people who do not want to listen?
- Mastering the art of influence.
- Finding common ground.
Are we, culturally as Australians, bad at leading?
- Perhaps, but perhaps we have higher standards when it comes to communication.
Is resilience more than putting one foot in front of the other a bunch of times?
- Yes - that’s just grit
- Resilience is about bouncing back after a challenge and then growing from that experience.
When a new team member arrives and buys a gift for the leader, how do you deal with it?
- Leadership is about place and context.
- Be aware of how you are being perceived.
What is the relationship between vulnerability and resilience?
- Emotional Intelligence.
What is the best way to deal with narcissistic leaders who prefer sycophancy on their team?
- Values-based leadership.
Would you (Trent) rather be in a business that treats its team as a family or as a high performing team?
- The benefits of a high performing team
- The difficulties of operating as a family.
3 Key Points:
- Leading those who do not want to be led.
- Establishing Resilience in a team.
- High performing team vs family business environment.
- “Leadership drives culture which drives performance”
- “Resilience does not always equate with a recovery to its initial state, often times resilience systems have no baseline to return to.”
Podcast Produced by Pretty Podcasts
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.