Manage episode 274690917 series 2738844
This week on Season two of the WarriorU Podcast, Bram and Lieutenant Colonel Trent Bernard answer leadership questions in Part Two of this series. In this episode, Trent and Bram discuss the perception of leadership within a team, unpacking your leadership narrative and share some examples of good leadership that they have witness throughout their careers.
Trent and Bram, with their years of experience leading in the army, bring perspective and experience to this conversation as they answer your leadership questions.
How do you lead people who do not want to listen?
- Leadership is a journey – it takes time and effort to grow.
What is more important, trust or Respect?
- Once trust has been breached it requires communication to fix, whereas respect can be earnt.
How do you deal with someone (or a group of people) who is perceived to be a higher rank than you i.e. age and years served?
- Dealing with Imposter Syndrome
- Perception of leadership.
How do you deal with inconsistent performance and laziness from your team?
- Laziness is lack of motivation.
- As a leader, you need to give your team a vision for influence, purpose and motivation.
How would you handle new people coming into your agency, who are overly confident (have a know it all attitude) when you are not the leader?
- Forming and Norming.
- Giving new members a suitable task to onboard.
How would you describe a leadership narrative?
- Source code DNA and leadership DNA.
- The importance of self-reflection
How do you keep going as a leader, when you yourself feel there is no hope?
- To be a truly good leader you need to know what it means to follow.
Toughest decision made when you were downrange in Afghanistan, from a leadership perspective?
- Bram shares a mission story from the field.
What’s the best example of leadership you have seen from an officer?
- An officer paying for the damage he caused.
- Moral courage.
Should you ‘fake it till you make it’?
- Words become worlds. Your thoughts become things.
3 Key Points:
- Perception of leadership within a team.
- Discovering your leadership narrative.
- Faking it till you make it.
- “Words become worlds. Thoughts are crystalised through conversation and writing” – Bram Connolly
- “Rarely are you elevated into a position you have done before. Embrace the chance to learn.” - Lieutenant Colonel Trent Bernard
- “No great learnings come from being comfortable.” - Lieutenant Colonel Trent Bernard
Podcast Produced by Pretty Podcasts
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.