Manage episode 304787536 series 1284864
Guest Speaker: Denys Jones
Host: Dave Homewood
Recorded: 30th of October 2016
Released: 17th of October 2021
Duration: 46 minutes 43 seconds
This episode is a recording of a fantastic talk given by Denys Jones of Ferrymead Aeronautical Society in Christchurch at a Wings Over New Zealand Forum Meet held at the Air Force Museum of New Zealand on the 30th of October 2016. The topic is the rare ex-RNZAF Lockheed Hudson NZ2035 owned by the society, who have been slowly restoring it to its former glory. The restoration continues even at the time of the release of this episode, and you can follow weekly updates from the Ferrymead team about the Hudson and their other projects on the Wings Over New Zealand Forum, at the link below. The photos on this page are some of those used by Denys during his presentation.
Lockheed Hudson NZ2035 started life as AE503, built by Lockheed at Burbank, California for the British Purchasing Mission contracts. Diverted to the RNZAF, it was shipped to New Zealand aboard the vessel Manuel, and Brought On Charge by Unit 1, RNZAF Station Hobsonville on the 29th of October 1941. It was assembled by No.1 Aircraft Depot at Hobsonville, and then assigned to No. 1 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron at RNZAF Station Whenuapai. It patrolled the coastal regions of the upper North Island, escorting Allied shipping and convoys, and watching for any enemy or suspicious surface craft or submarines. It would go on to serve with No. 2 Gunnery Training Flight at RNZAF Station Gisborne in 1943, then it returned to Whenuapai to continue in the bomber reconnaissance role with No. 9 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron (Detached Flight). By February 1944 it had moved to No. 3 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron, at Ohakea. It returned to Whenuapai again by March 1944, serving on No. 14 Servicing Unit who were providing aircraft for No. 1 (BR) Squadron. An overseas duty followed in May 1944 when NZ2035 joined No. 13 SU, which maintained the Hudsons for No. 4 (BR) Squadron at Nausori, Fiji. The aircraft was ferried back to New Zealand in December 1944 by a No. 8 (BR) Squadron crew. It ended up stored at the end of WWII, and was sold by the War Assets Realisation Board by tender 9205 from Woodbourne to Mr. Edwards on the 9th of May 1949. From there, the remains went to the Holdaway brothers of Blenheim. It was then secured by Warwick Bint, who hoped initially to get it flying. But it ended up back with the Holdaway family, who sold the remains to Ferrymead Aeronautical Society. The RNZAF assisted in transporting the aircraft to Christchurch, arriving at the museum on the 27th of September 1973. At the time of publishing this episode NZ2035 remains at Ferrymead Museum, under active restoration.