07 Memoir of a Hilo Waterman: The Amazing Life of Hawaii Swimmer, Author & Educator Richard "Sonny" Tanabe
Manage episode 301780863 series 2823263
Born in 1934, Richard "Sonny" Tanabe Jr. Is a former Olympic swimmer, educator, and author from the Big Island. On this episode of Transmissions from Hawaii, he tells us about his life as a swimmer and a few other things, including the Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial.Guests & Links
- Richard "Sonny" Tanabe Jr.
To learn more about Richard "Sonny" Tanabe Jr., you can visit the pages below.
Richard Tanabe Jr. has written two books. To learn more about them use the links below.
- The Evolution of Freediving-And History of Spearfishing in Hawaii
- Spearfishing on the Island of Hawaii: A Pictorial History
To learn more about the Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial, use the link below.
If you would like to read the article about Sonny that ran in the February-March 2019 issue of Wasabi magazine, please use the link below.
- Hawaii SHIP
- Editing and sound design: Tony Vega
- Transcript: Milabeats.go
- Transmissions from Hawaii logo: fikrihidajat (Based on concept sketch by Tony Vega)
- Featured image: Courtesy of Richard Tanabe Jr.
- Transmissions from Hawaii on Instagram
- Transmissions from Hawaii on Facebook
- Transmissions from Hawaii on Twitter
You can download the PDF transcript here.