Manage episode 304668935 series 2951709
Alyssa Miller, Business Information Security Officer at S&P Global Ratings and author of the forthcoming book, “Cyber Defenders' Career Guide, is one of the most provocative, unfiltered and interesting voices in the cybersecurity community. She’s essential reading on infosec Twitter and a regular draw at conferences around the world. In this episode, she dives into all sorts of issues in the cybersecurity community, from incoherent job postings to a lack of diversity—she covers it all. Tune in to find out how you can best address these problems and also learn how to reach out of your comfort zone and forge your own path to success.
Why you should listen:
* Figure out why most cybersecurity job postings “suck” and how the industry can help fix the issue.
* Learn how to address key issues that come up during a cybersecurity job hunt.
* Identify how to maximize opportunities for personal growth and realize your potential in the infosec community.
* Understand how to be a better ally to underrepresented groups in the cybersecurity community.
* Hear about the value of diversity and inclusion in cybersecurity.
* “Read the narrative at the beginning of the job description. If that sounds like something you can do and something you can learn and grow in, apply. The very worst thing they can do is tell you no."
* "The difference between you experiencing success or not is in how you respond to opportunities. Do you take those moments and go after them or do you let them go by the wayside."
* “If we want to be better at cybersecurity, having diversity matters.”
* "You don't get diversity of thought by having 20 heterosexual white males sitting in a room talking about how to build cybersecurity defenses."