Manage episode 306745884 series 2994713
In this episode, yoga teacher Jenni Rawlings and Exercise Science professor Travis Pollen discuss the confusing and not-well-defined term of “functional movement” and whether this term should be used to describe yoga. Topics covered in this episode include:
- What does the term functional movement mean?
- How is the term functional movement commonly used both in the yoga world and in the fitness/strength & conditioning world?
- Are “pretzel”-like yoga poses non-functional?
- Are isolated, single-joint movements non-functional, while compound, multi-joint movements are functional?
- Is weight training in machines less functional than weightlifting with free weights?
- Is functional movement a yes/no, black/white concept, or does it exist on a spectrum?
- …and much more!
Enjoy this engaging and eye-opening discussion for yoga, movement, and fitness geeks!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Strength for Yoga Remote Group Training – ongoing, interactive monthly strength program for yogis designed by Jenni & Travis
Music used with generous permission from Dischord A Cappella.